By Barbara Patton
Women settlers started arriving in Prescott in early 1864. Mary Ramos was perhaps the earliest. Her name is associated with this region's first log cabin, “Ft. Misery,” which rests today at the Sharlot Hall Museum.
Originally from Austin, TX, she came to Arizona in 1861 and moved to Prescott in 1864, where she went by the name Mary Brown. She soon purchased the log cabin store built by Manuel Yrissari and turned it into a small boarding house. For $25 a week, she provided meals, including goat's milk for coffee. The building also became a gathering place for early miners, was sometimes used as a church and, when needed, a court room.