by Stu Jordan
In Robert Groom’s 1864 survey laying out the town of Prescott, two entire but non-adjacent blocks fronting Gurley Street were set aside as public spaces, the Plaza and the Capitol Block. Both were to be connected by Union Street. The Capitol Block was designated for eventual civic buildings, including one to serve as the capitol. Meanwhile, the new territorial government had business to conduct.
For the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Legislative Assemblies (1864/1865/1866), the delegates gathered each autumn in Van C. Smith's “Legislative Hall,” a log structure erected on Gurley Street directly across from the Plaza, intended for future commercial purposes and the present location of the Union Block building. The 4th Assembly (1867) was held in the R. George Soule building, later occupied by Jackson & Tompkin's Saloon and current site of the Arts Prescott Gallery. Shortly thereafter, the territorial capital relocated to Tucson.
By the time the capital returned to Prescott in mid-1877, the 60-day-or-less legislative assemblies were only being scheduled every second January. A new Yavapai County Courthouse having just been raised on the Plaza, the 10th Assembly (1879) convened in the old courthouse on N. Cortez Street, the location of the Masonic Temple today. The 11th and 12th Assemblies (1881/1883) took place in the imposing City Hall Theatre owned by George W. Curtis and located on the west bank of Granite Creek. This site is now a parking lot adjacent to the only remaining Curtis Cottage at 125 S. McCormick Street.
Read More


