Mildred “Millie” Elizabeth (Slaybach) Ogg was born January 14, 1902, in Blackwell, Kay County, Oklahoma, to Sarah Elizabeth (Nail) and William Anderson Slaybach. The Slaybachs were of German descent and made their living as farmers.

Millie married Charles “Charlie” William Ogg (b. 1898 – d. 1971), a pharmacist, on August 18, 1919 in Ponca City, Oklahoma.  The Oggs had two children: Jack Leroy (September 27, 1920 -February 23, 2001) and Betty Jean (Ogg) Favour (February 22, 1923 - March 30, 2000).  In 1925, the family came to Yuma, Yuma County, Arizona because Charles had contracted tuberculosis and his doctor recommended the family move to Arizona for his health. 

Later the family moved to Prescott, Arizona, where they raised rabbits, turkeys, and ducks and sold them at the local market. The Palace Café on Whiskey Row bought most of their ducks.  However, Charlie’s tuberculosis was still compromising his health, so his doctor recommended the family move to a lower altitude.  In 1949, they moved to Wickenberg, Arizona, where Mildred and Charles opened an Indian jewelry and arts and craft store, which they named Ogg’s Hogan. Later in 1998, the Oggs’ grandson Jeff took over the store and moved it back to Prescott at 111 North Cortez Street.

A life-long booster of Prescott, Millie spent most of her time caring for her family and garden. She belonged to the Garden Club, the Mothers' Club, the Smoki, the Prescottonians, and was a member of the First Congregational Church. They lived in Pine Crest and at 120 Cherry Drive, Cortez Park.

According to her grandson Jeff, Millie was named “Business Woman of the Year” while working at the Sam Hill Hardware Store in Prescott during the late 1940s.  She was known for her love of Indian arts and crafts. After Charlie’s death in 1971, Millie continued to distribute Indian jewelry to local merchants. She was a friend of the Navajo and Hopi Indians, and set up a scholarship fund in memory of her husband at the Navajo Community College in Many Farms on the Navajo Reservation. She had a vast knowledge of the Navajo and Hopi People.

Millie helped the Prescott Garden Club beautify the grounds of the Sharlot Hall Museum with plants and shrubs, and was involved in the project to establish and care for the Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden. In 1996, the Board of Trustees of the Sharlot Hall Museum honored Millie by including her in the Rose Garden to recognize and memorialize her dedication to this special project. Her lifelong passion was her garden and love of flowers.

Millie died on June 4, 1986, and was buried in Mountain View Cemetery in Prescott. 

Donor: Jack Ogg, May 1996
Photo Located:  RGC MS-39, Box O, F-Ogg, Mildred (Slaybach)
Updated: 5/13/2017, Gretchen Hough Eastman