Marjory J. Sente
Born June 8, 1879, in Prescott, Bessie Ethel Hatz was the second child of Arizona pioneers Daniel and Catherine Shanberger Hatz. A Swiss native, Bessie’s father came to Prescott in 1864 by way of Colorado. Daniel and John Raible constructed the territory’s first governor’s mansion, now the Sharlot Hall Museum’s centerpiece.
Bessie’s mother, then 23, arrived in 1875 by ox-team from San Bernardino with her sister, Younda Shanberger Probst and family. Daniel and Catherine were married in December that same year.
Bessie excelled in school. Although Prescott didn’t have a high school at the time, the quality of her education was sufficient that, in 1899, she applied for and received a teaching certificate. She taught at a school in Groom Creek during the fall, commuting between there and Prescott on weekends.
In January 1900, Bessie entered the San Diego Normal School. Her complete normal school training was only 8 months in total. The following year, she applied to the Yavapai County Superintendent of Schools for a two-year, first-grade teaching certificate. She taught at the Ash Fork School during the 1900-1901 academic year and subsequently at the Skull Valley school in 1901-1902.
After her brief teaching career, Bessie returned to Prescott. With older sister Violet’s help, she learned stenography and then worked for J.J. Hawkins’ law firm.
Bessie met her future husband, Albert W. Bork, at her mother’s boarding house where he took his meals. When they married in 1905, the November 23, 1905 Prescott Evening Courier called it a “Happy Marriage.” She “is a most estimable young lady,” and Albert “is of the substantial Prescott drug store firm of Corbin and Bork.”
The Borks were married for 16 years when Albert passed away from bowel cancer in 1921, leaving Bessie with six children between the ages of two and fifteen. Later that year, the family moved in with Bessie’s parents who lived at 111 S. Mount Vernon Street.
In October 1926, Bessie was appointed as Prescott’s city librarian. Then located in the Carnegie Library building on the corner of Gurley and Marina streets, the library had closed stacks.
By April 1927, Librarian Bork had changed to an open-shelf system and reported good results in the March 1928 Arizona Roadrunner published by the University of Arizona, stating, “The change has been very appreciated, and the work considerably increased.” Bessie also noted that the Monday Club, whose members were responsible for founding “Prescott’s free reading room,” had taken a special interest in maintaining the library’s juvenile section. She closed her report saying, “There are no paid assistants; so, our progress is slow.”
In her 1934 annual report, Bessie stated that, in 1933, a total of 57,358 loans were made, up from 54,580 the prior year. About 2,000 volumes were added, including 1,630 donations, with 400 books discarded. The number of library cards issued in 1933 was 646 compared to 700 in 1932.
In early 1935, Bessie’s daughter Elizabeth took over as librarian for the Prescott Public Library.
After a brief illness, Bessie died on Independence Day 1935. Her obituary in the July 5, 1935, Prescott Evening Courier stated, “One very close to her has said that no mother ever made any greater sacrifices for her children. Her mother love and her boundless faith in Almighty God joined with that power of will which carried on against all odds enabled her to overcome all obstacles but death.”
Bessie and Albert are buried in the Mountain View Cemetery.
This year the Prescott Public Library has celebrated its 50th year at the Goodwin Street facility. Today’s library is indebted to Bessie Bork and other directors who worked at the Carnegie Library building for laying a strong foundation on which to build and expand.
“Days Past” is a collaborative project of the Sharlot Hall Museum and the Prescott Corral of Westerners International (www.prescottcorral.org). This and other Days Past articles are also available at www.archives.sharlothallmuseum.org/articles/days-past-articles/1. The public is encouraged to submit proposed articles and inquiries to dayspast@sharlothallmuseum.org Please contact SHM Research Center reference desk at 928-277-2003, or via email at archivesrequest@sharlothallmuseum.org for information or assistance with photo requests.


