Office of the Daily Courier
detailsUnknown Unknown bui104p.jpg BU-I-104 Sepia 1405-0104-0000 bui104p Print 8x10 Historic Photographs c. 1903 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
Seated in the photograph are Walter Reese and Tom Smith, Prescott businessmen associated with The Phenix Insurance Company of Brooklyn. Handwriting on the back of the photograph is: "Old Courier Office." This office was is likely the first location of Prescott's modern newspaper, The Daily Courier.
The Daily Courier began as the Republican Fort Whipple Arizona Miner in the mid to late 1880s. It was a semimonthly newspaper owned by then Territorial Secretary Richard McCormick.
In late 1885, the editor of Prescott's Arizona Weekly Journal, John C. Martin, initiated a merger between The Arizona Miner with his own paper to create The Arizona Weekly Journal-Miner. The newspaper’s plant and files were destroyed by a fire on July 14, 1900, and a temporary daily paper was issued from July 23 to August 1900. Martin stayed on as editor of the merged newspaper as it changed its masthead yet again to become the Weekly Arizona Journal-Miner in 1903. Over the decades, the newspaper acquired the name "Prescott Courier" and was finally established as The Daily Courier in 1994. Source: The Library of Congress: Chronicling America: About Arizona weekly journal-miner. (Prescott, Ariz.) 1885-1903.
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.