Johnson House


Unknown Unknown buh7008p.jpg BU-H-7008 B&W 1404-7008-0000 buh7008p Photo Card Print 4x5 Historic Photographs c. 1884 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives


Front and side view of the hotel.

In 1884, Christine Johnson built and was the prorietress of Johnson House on North Marina Street in Prescott. Miss Johnson came to Arizona in 1878 and had been in the hotel and restaurant business for over 20 years. At the time of her dealth, she had been planning to rent the property and move to California to be closer to her sisters. She was found deceased in her bed on the morning of January 17, 1900. Although an inquest found death by natural causes, rumors persisted of foul play since approximately $2,000 worth of her jewelry was missing. Her body was shipped to San Francisco for burial.



To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details

Notify Us

The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: