Castle Hot Springs
detailsUnknown The Pink of Perfection buh7044pe.jpg BU-H-7044 B&W 1404.7044.0005 buh7044pe Postcard 6x9 Historic Photographs 1920's Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
Second Pool, Castle Hot Springs, Arizona, 112 degrees.
The Apache Wars discouraged development of the area until the 1880s when the springs and the adjacent land were purchased by Frank Murphy for the construction of a health resort. The resort was completed in 1896 by the brother of the Arizona Governor Oakes Murphy, and the newly renamed "Castle Hot Springs" was heavily advertised to potential clients. During the resort's heyday in the 1920s it was visited by celebrities such as Zane Grey, as well as famous families such as the Rockefellers.
The resort was used by the United States military as a rehabilitation center from 1943 to 1944 to treat injured veterans of World War II. Future president John F. Kennedy spent three months at the resort during this period to recover from his wounds suffered during the sinking of his ship, PT-109.
The resort continued to be commercially operated until the main building was heavily damaged in a fire in 1976. The resort still comprises its swimming pool, administrative building and guest house along with the springs, which produce 180,000 gallons of hot water a day. The resort became a stop on the short-line Arizona and California Railroad in the 1990s.
The property was sold in March 2014 for $1.95 Million. The new owners have been exploring options for its redevelopment. In March 2018, the resort announced a restoration was underway with plans for reopening in October of that year.
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.