Bright Angel Hotel
detailsUnknown Unknown buh7031pb.jpg BU-H-7031 B&W 1404.7031.0002 buh7031pb Print 8x10 Historic Photographs c1910 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
James Thurber built the Bright Angel Hotel in 1896 (the building to the left). The building on the right is Buckey O'Neill's cabin, built at about the same time. Thurber acquired the cabin after O'Neill died in 1898. Martin Buggeln bought the hotel in 1901 and added the structure between the two buildings (where Thurber had had a tent).
According to the Grand Canyon Association’s Nature, Culture, and History at the Grand Canyon site, “during his time at the Canyon, O’Neill built two log structures: a cabin beside the early Bright Angel Hotel which he used as an office, and a bunkhouse a few yards back among the Ponderosa pines.” And “In 1935 Mary Jane Elizabeth Colter, working as an architect for the Fred Harvey Company, remodeled O’Neill’s cabin to serve as a guest cottage. Today it is part of the Bright Angel Cabin complex, and is considered the oldest continuously standing structure on the rim.”
Today the Bright Angel Lodge is a hotel complex at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona. The lodge is a complex of cabins around a central lodge building, directly on the edge of the canyon. The rustic lodge complex is a major contributing structure in the Grand Canyon Village National Historic Landmark District. Source: Wikipedia
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: email@example.com.