detailsD. F. Mitchell Unknown buh7026pb.jpg BU-H-7026 B&W 1404.7026.0002 buh7026pb Stereograph Print 4x6 Historic Photographs 1887-1889 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
The Bellevue Hotel, located at 121 N. Cortez Street, opened on November 9, 1887 under the proprietorship of Jules Baumann. Prior to its opening, the building served as the first Yavapai County courthouse with an adjoining jailhouse between 1867 and 1877. Some individuals, including in The Weekly Arizona Miner newspaper, expressed concern about the jail building’s poor condition, especially its surrounding fence, which made it easy for prisoners to escape. In February 1878, construction work began on a second courthouse on the Plaza and the building at 121 N. Cortez Street was remodeled in 1885.
Between 1887 and 1900, when the building was demolished, the Bellevue Hotel went through a number or proprietors and hosted a number of restaurants and other businesses. Proprietors included:
James Shirley, 1889
Jacob Henkle, who transferred his lease of the Bellevue Hotel to Mrs. John McCarty in March 1891.
In February 1893 a deed was filed for record from L. J. Weber and James Shirley to Charles H. Lee for the interest in the Bellevue Hotel for $500.00. H.T. Blake purchased and takes charge of the Bellevue Hotel.
Charles Martin, 1894
Mrs. L. B. Anderson, proprietor, and G. L. Mayer, manager, 1895 (they refitted the hotel with a saloon and restaurant)
A Mrs. White rented it as a lodging house with a café in 1899
On October 10, 1900 the Weekly Journal-Miner newspaper listed the Bellevue Hotel as for sale. Demolition work on the hotel began on November 10, with the Miner newspaper reporting that the building had been used as a jail, saloon, printing office, hotel, and restaurant during its existence.
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.