detailsUnknown Unknown c0108pc.jpg C-108 B&W 1020-0108-0003 c0108pc Print 3x5 Historic Photographs April 28, 1948 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
This photo shows a portion of the cemetery fence/gate or fence section of a family plot. Maria Weaver - a member of the family who founded the town Weaverville and eventually the cemetery - is standing in the background.
The town of Weaver was originally known as Weaverville and was founded in the early 1860s. This area had the richest placer deposits in Arizona and was named in honor of early-day Arizona pioneer Pauline Weaver (b. 1800 - d. 1867), the leader of the expedition that discovered gold in this area. The town became an overnight success but eventually became known as a "hangout" for thieves and robbers. Later, Weaver was absorbed into the town of Octave, Arizona. The desert below Rich Hill in Southern Yavapai County was once home to three bustling mining towns, Weaver, Octave and Stanton. All of them are ghost towns today.
The Weaver Cemetery is in a terrible state of decay, although in recent years, Boy Scout troops and organizations such as the Arizona Pioneer Cemetery Research Project have cleaned up the site, and covered recognizable graves with rocks and white crosses. However, there are no names on the graves. These photos here on the Sharlot Hall Museum Library & Archives website are historically valuable in that they show tombstones and markers that are no longer exist in the actual cemetery today. The Octave Cemetery is also in an advanced state of decay, with only a few markers remaining, none with names. The Stanton Cemetery, known to exist, has vanished completely and no one knows where it was located, although “grave dowsers” - people who use divining rods to locate graves - claim to have found it. While the public can visit the Weaver and Octave cemeteries, the locations are remote and 4-wheel-drive vehicles are recommended.
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: email@example.com.