San Carlos Indian Reservation
detailsErwin Baer Unknown bus5053p.jpg IN-A-101 Sepia 1500-0101-0005 bus5053p Photo Card Print 5x7 Historic Photographs 1890s Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
A group of Apaches sitting on ground with the San Carlos Indian School building (left) in distance on the San Carlos Indian Reservation.
In February 1873, 1,200 Apaches were marched from Fort Grant to establish the San Carlos Reservation at the confluence of the San Carlos River and the Gila River. The chosen location on a gravel terrace above the combined rivers was barren, inhospitable and could not support the population. A small detachment of soldiers remained at the new reservation and a system to supply weekly rations to the population was established. That system would last until after 1900.
The San Carlos School was established in 1887 to educate Apache children. It was located in the community of San Carlos, one of the two Indian agencies serving the White Mountain Reservation, the other being Fort Apache. During the decade of 1887-1897, improvements and expansion occurred, including a new brick bruilding, allowing the student capacity to double from 50 to 100. The school campus (at that time comprising several buildings) burned in 1904, and salvage structures were converted to a much smaller day school.
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.