Elks Opera House Laying Cornerstone
detailsUnknown Unknown bub8022p.jpg BU-B-8022 Sepia 1400-8022-0000 bub8022p Photo Card Print 6x9 Historic Photographs April 3, 1904 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
Elks Opera House laying cornerstone gathering, Prescott. Postcard view of Elks Opera House, Prescott. BPOE Lodge #330 purchased the property upon which the Elks Opera House is located in 1900 and selected John R. Minor as the architect of the Elks Building. The original plans did not include a theater, but in 1904 the Elks Lodge held a public meeting to gauge public interest in including an opera house in the Elks building. Prescott residents raised the necessary funds of $15,000, and the granite cornerstone was laid on April 3, 1904, followed by the grand opening was February 20, 1905.
On the left across the street is the Congress Hotel, which changed its name from the Congress House in 1902. In the far left is the spire of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, which was erected by Reverend Father Alfred Quetu in 1895.
On the far right corner is the Carnegie Library, which was built in 1903. The Gothic style residence with the turrets in the right background was constructed by a W. Z. Wilson in 1877. Among the owners included Thomas Fitch (who added a dining hall at the house in 1879), Colonel Clark Churchill, the Arizona Land & Stock Company, and Hugo Richards.
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.