Yavapai Indian Campsite
detailsO. A. Hesla Unknown iny2101pa.jpg IN-Y-2101 B&W 1512-2101-0001 IN-Y-2101p Glass Plate Negative 5x7 Historic Photographs 1900 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
Two Anglo photographers taking pictures of Yavapai Indians' campsites on Yavapai Indian land near Prescott, Arizona. Thumb Butte is in background to the right of center.
These types of Yavapai dwellings, called uwas, are domed huts framed with willow branches or other wood sticks then traditionally covered with layers of grass, bark, dirt, cloth and/or animal skins. In this photo the Yavapais are using various types of cloth and fabric to cover the uwa frames.
The Yavapai Tribe’s rich history dates back centuries, when the women wove intricate baskets and the men were largely hunters and gatherers. The tribe’s first chief was Sam Jimulla, succeeded by his wife Viola. She was the first woman chieftess among North American Indians. There are three primary groups of Yavapai existing today - they are located at Fort McDowell, Camp Verde and Prescott. The Yavapai-Prescott Indian Reservation consists of approximately 1,400 acres that are adjacent to the city of Prescott, Arizona in central Yavapai County. When it was established in 1935, the Yavapai Prescott Indian Reservation occupied only 75 acres of the former Fort Whipple Military Reserve in central Arizona. The first reservation established solely for the Yavapai, it continued to grow with the 1956 addition of 1,320 acres.
NOTE: The original glass plate negative and print of this photo is located in the Bate Brothers Studio Collection, PC-1.
Website - Yavapai-Prescott Indian Tribe.com
Book - "Surviving Conquest" by Timothy Braatz
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.