Yavapai Reservation - Old Campsite Area
detailsDon Keller, Museum of Northern Arizona Unknown 1512-2101-0003.jpg IN-Y-2101 B&W 1512-2101-0003 IN-Y-2101pc Print 4x6 Historic Photographs November 1984 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
This is a group photo of people from the Museum of Northern Arizona (MNA) with a Yavapai Tribe elder at the old dwelling site (later established as the Yavapai-Prescott Tribe Reservation). Pictured in the photo left to right: Pat Stein, Unknown, Don Mitchell (Yavapai Elder), and Louis Curtis. This group photo is taken in the same area that the 1900 historic photograph (1512-2101-0001) was photographed. Thumb Butte is in the right upper corner.
The Yavapai Tribe’s rich history dates back centuries, when the women wove intricate baskets and the men were largely hunters and gatherers. The tribe’s first chief was Sam Jimulla, succeeded by his wife Viola. She was the first woman chieftess among North American Indians.The Yavapai have lived in central and western Arizona for centuries. There are three primary groups of Yavapai existing today - they are located at Fort McDowell, Camp Verde and Prescott. The Yavapai-Prescott Indian Reservation consists of approximately 1,400 acres that are adjacent to the city of Prescott, Arizona in central Yavapai County. When it was established in 1935, the Yavapai Prescott Indian Reservation occupied only 75 acres of the former Fort Whipple Military Reserve in central Arizona. The first reservation established solely for the Yavapai, it continued to grow with the 1956 addition of 1,320 acres.
Source: Website - Yavapai-Prescott Indian Tribe.com
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.