Havasupai Dwelling


details

Unknown Unknown inh416pc.jpg IN-H-416 B&W 1501.0416.0003 inh416pc Print 2.5x4.5 Historic Photographs 1900 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives

Description

A Havasupai house among the trees in the village of Supai in the Grand Canyon.

The Havasupai Reservation is located 90 miles northwest of Flagstaff, Arizona. There are roughly 650 tribal members, many of whom live in the village of Supai in the bottom of Havasu Canyon (also known as Cataract Canyon). The name Havasupai means “people of the blue-green waters” for their beautiful canyon home.

By the 1880s, sufficient social contact with the Navajos appears to have occurred for the Havasupai to adopt the Navajo type hogan (cabin).

(Source: The Havasupai People, Dobyns, Indian Tribal Series, 1971, p. 24)

Purchase

To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details

Notify Us

The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: orderdesk@sharlot.org.

Close