Bradshaw City


Unknown Unknown citn404pr.jpg CI-TN-404 Color 1200.0404.0018 citn404pr Print 4x6 Historic Photographs Unknown Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives


Bradshaw City

Bradshaw City was first mentioned in the Arizona Miner on September 21, 1864.  William D. and Isaac Bradshaw came to Arizona from California c. 1863 and owned and operated the ferry at Olive City.  William led a party into the mountain range which was later given his name, made a strike, and the new mining district was named in his honor.  The city was born and was situated on the trail from Prescott to the Tiger and Eclipse Mines and in the May 20, 1871, the Arizona Citizen described the settlement as having two stores, a restaurant, two saloons, an assay office and a butcher shop with other buildings being erected.  A post office was established July 1, 1874.
The Townsite was surveyed by O. H. Case, and in 1871 the population was listed as 5,000.  By the end of 1871, however, miners began to move away from Tiger Mine to find work elsewhere and by the 1880’s the town faded from the map.
Headboards and headstones stand in the cemetery.  Corner posts stand around family plots and the site is shaded by pine and oak trees.

Arizona Names, X Marks the Spot, Byrd Howell Granger, The Falconer Publishing Company, 1983
Arizona Place Names, Will C. Barnes, The University of Arizona Press, 1960
Vertical Files, Sharlot Hall Museum Library and Archives



To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details

Notify Us

The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: