Humbug


details

Unknown Unknown citn403pk.jpg CI-TN-403 Color 1200.0403.0011 citn403pk Print 4x4 Historic Photographs 1968 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives

Description

Humbug, Arizona, dam from water side.

The town of Humbug was named after Humbug Creek, which took its name from the Humbug Mining District.  Miners who had heard rumors about good mining prospects and abundant gold on the creek called the whole thing a humbug  because they recounted the creek’s large quantities of yellow pyrite, or fools gold.  Humbug means deceptive or false talk.  
Humbug came into existence during the early 1870’s when placer gold was found;  Charles Champie started mining gold there around 1882.  A mill was constructed and the town operated until the turn of the century.  Mining production was restarted at a later date and the mine was worked until the 1930’s.  Around 1932, a New York stockbroker named Frank de Lacey Hyde formed Humbug Gold Mine, Inc. and built a large adobe home at Humbug.
Columbia was the name of the post office serving the Columbia Mine here.  It was referred to as Humbug because it was situated on that creek.

Arizona Names, X Marks the Place, Byrd Howell Granger, 1983, The Falconer Publishing Company
Ghostowns.com
Vertical File, Sharlot Hall Museum Library and Archives

 

Purchase

To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details

Notify Us

The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: orderdesk@sharlot.org.

Close