Curtis Cottages Demolition
detailsUnknown Unknown bure4277pnn.jpg BU-RE-4277 B&W 1407.4277.0040 bure4277pnn Print <2x3 Historic Photographs 1989 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
Workers are seen inside one of the Curtis Cottages during demolition of the building in 1989.
George W. Curtis came to Prescott from California in 1864, and in 1867 purchased an interest in a sawmill. He purchased a building in Granite Creek on South McCormick Street and he enlarged and modified it in 1878. This building was known as Curtis Hall and was used as the meeting place for the Territorial Legislature from 1879 to early 1885 and as City Hall. It was described as a "mammoth frame house" which "overshadows every edifice in town." This building was apparently gone by the mid 1880s at which time the Curtis Duplex was built at the same location. It appears in an 1885 photograph of Prescott. It was a one-story wood frame building with a porch across the front, covered with shiplap siding. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Around 1881 the Curtis brothers built three 'cottages" along South McCormick Street to the North and South of the Curits Duplex. One of these cottages still stands at 125 South McCormick and is listed in the National register of Historic Places. the Curtis Duplex and one of the cottages were demolished in 1989. Another cottage was moved to Chino Valley.
NOTE: Sharlot Hall Museum has more photos of the Curtis Cottages demolition that are not online. Contact the SHM Library and Archives to view them.
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.