105 South Alarcon
detailsUnknown Unknown bure4061pe.jpg BU-RE-4061 B&W 1407.4061.0005 bure4061pe Print 8x10 Historic Photographs 1896-1910 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
E. B. Gage and later Frank Murphy residence, 105 South Alarcon
The Gage/Murphy house is a two and half story wood frame structure of asymmetrical floor plan. The outside dimensions of the original plan were about 60 feet by 40 feet. The hipped roof has many dormers, all of which were later additions except for a convex dormer over the old main entry. The second story deck on the porch has been enclosed. Detailing is derived from classical models. A semi-circular solarium is located on the east side of the house.
Ephilet B. Gage (b. 1839 - d. 1913) was a capitalist who made a fortune in the mines of Tombstone and Congress, Arizona. His partner for many years was Frank M. Murphy (b. 1855 - d. 1917), who is best remembered for his part in building the territory's railroad system. In 1895 Gage built himself a mansion on the south/east corner of South Alarcon Street and East Gurley Streets in Prescott, Arizona. Six years later he sold the property to his partner. The building is an interesting design for it appears to be an asymmetrical version of the Second Renaissance Revival. This information was obtained from the Arizona Historic Property Inventory.
Gage was born at Pelham, New Hampshire to John and Rebecca (Greeley) Gage on October 2, 1839. His mother seems to have been a distant relation to newspaperman Horace Greeley of "Go west young man." fame. A graduate of Dartmouth College, Gage first became involved in railroad and grain milling interests in Illinois but eventually followed his distantly famous inlaw's advice and headed west where in 1878 he settled in the notorious Arizona Territory boomtown of Tombstone. Here Gage pursued a career as a mining engineer and investor. He also became acquainted with Wyatt Earp and his brothers after the former Kansas lawman arrived in Tombstone in late 1879.
Alternative spellings of his first name is Ephilet and Eliphalet.
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: email@example.com.