detailsRonald F. Church Unknown 1020.0149.0035.jpg C-149 Color 1020.0149.0035 1020.0149.0035 Digital Born 6x9 Historic Photographs March 25, 2018 Reproduction requires permission. Digital images property of SHM Library & Archives
Gravestone of Carmen F. Zurita, born 1902, died November 18, 1924.
The ghost town of Puntenney, for which nothing remains except its cemetery, was named for George Hollingsworth Puntenney, who built the Arizona Territory’s first lime kiln on the site. A small town quickly formed, whose economy was based exclusively on limestone mining. It was located roughly on the southern side of Hell Canyon, about forty miles north of Prescott.
The town of Puntenney is known to have had a schoolhouse and an “amusement hall” of some kind. A post office was established in 1905, but was eventually closed in 1932 during the period when mining started to fade throughout Arizona. Many mining towns became ghost towns about this time.
Today (2018), only the Puntenney Cemetery remains of this town, within site of the Drake Cement plant across Hell Canyon, and is kept up by the U.S. Forest Service. A Forest Service sign at this cemetery claims that it was also known as the “Cedar Glade Cemetery,” but according to Kathy Block, historian for the Arizona Pioneer Cemetery Research Project (APCRP), this is an error. Cedar Glade was a separate town on the north side of Hell Canyon, with its own cemetery, which is now located within the boundaries of the Drake Cement plant.
To purchase this image please click on the NOTIFY US button and we will contact you with details
The process for online purchase of usage rights to this digital image is under development. To order this image, CLICK HERE to send an email request for details. Refer to the ‘Usage Terms & Conditions’ page for specific information. A signed “Permission for Use” contract must be completed and returned. Written permission from Sharlot Hall Museum is required to publish, display, or reproduce in any form whatsoever, including all types of electronic media including, but not limited to online sources, websites, Facebook Twitter, or eBooks. Digital files of images, text, sound or audio/visual recordings, or moving images remain the property of Sharlot Hall Museum, and may not be copied, modified, redistributed, resold nor deposited with another institution. Sharlot Hall Museum reserves the right to refuse reproduction of any of its materials, and to impose such conditions as it may deem appropriate. For certain scenarios, the price for personal usage of the digital content is minimal; CLICK HERE to download the specific form for personal usage. For additional information, contact the Museum Library & Archives at 928-445-3122 ext. 14 or email: email@example.com.